Charlene Matthews Bindery
Russell Crotty Collaboration

6'x25 yards of duck canvas was purchased. It was folded down each edge to five feet 2 inches. 2"x2"squares made of board were placed/glued in the fold every foot. This was enough to keep the edges from turning out. The fore edge was ironed, lined with lenox paper, glued, and turned twice to make a hollow tube. Leather was cut and pared for the corners, and glued down with a mix of pva and wheat paste. The long corner edge was punched and sewn. Back side detail. Click on the picture for a closer look.

Detail of corner with first sewing rolled up.

The cover was at this stage when delivered to Russell for him to do a cover drawing. Fore edge, spine and top was taped as not to confuse him. There is a portion of one of the six foot spheres in the background.

I picked up the artwork and began working on the fore edge. I had glued a two inch piece of lenox paper on a folded edge of canvas, with a small sheet of japanese paper. The art work is glued to the japanese paper, which is glued to the canvas folded over to make a tube, glued on itself, with the artwork edge butted against the fold. This picture shows my crude way of pressing this step. The artwork is under the dictionaries, the corresponding vellum sheet laying on the top.

Detail of vellum treatment The vellum does not like to adhere to archival pva. I sewed on a strip of lenox on each side of the edge, the artwork line is just seen. I then glued a folded strip of canvas onto the paper strip. Pressed as previous. Note with the pressing: I had to get rid of any moisture asap. I changed the blotter every 15 minutes for the first hour, then every two hours, than let dry overnight. The pva was left to air dry to make it very tacky on application.

The linen strip dry and in place. The strip is extended and was made into turn handles to assist in rolling.

Detail of canvas on artwork fore edge.

Detail of lenox piece glued to canvas (back view of the artwork). The artwork does not touch the lenox, as there is japanese tissue in between.

Preparing the wood spine piece. Drilling holes for sewing have been marked and leather adhered to the inner spine side. Russell, funny enough, did not want the sewing to show on the outer spine, so I am covering the back and will wrap the leather around to the front after sewing the hinges to the cover, then tool the leather join. The edges have been pared and I sanded the middle. I did not have a piece big enough for the whole strip, so I used four pieces. The adhesive was a wheat paste.

Russell finished the cover artwork and I am marking up the positioning of the outer spine piece.

The spine piece is glued to the outside of the cover in prep to sew. Weighed down by covered bricks for a few hours.

Picture of the inner hinge attachments sewn through the cover and onto the spine piece. The artwork pages will be fitted and sewn/adhered to these.

Detail of the outer spine piece sewn to the cover. Russell did not want the sewing to show, so the leather is adhered to the inside and will wrap around to cover the outside, and then be tooled.

A view of the outer spine piece attached to the canvas cover, prior to final leather adhering.